Pomfret Center, CT ~ Breezy Hill Farm on Route 44 in Pomfret will celebrate the 3rd Anniversary of “The Milkin’ Parlour,” a unique gallery of fine arts, crafts and gift items made by local artisans, on October 19. Store hours are 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m on the weekends or when the OPEN sign is out.
This exciting business is located in what was once a functioning milking parlour for the dairy business and housed the milk tank when the Chubbuck family had a well-known milk route delivering to local families and businesses. The dream of converting the now idle barn into a gift shop began a year ago. Minor renovations have been made to keep the farm-like charm. The store will contain among other things items from local artisans, which include hand poured candles, stained glass, children's items, and prints. In addition, there will be seasonal items like pumpkins, corn stalks, and organic fertilizer.
The main focus of the store is to offer artist and craftsman from northeastern Connecticut a place to display their wares thereby giving the customer an opportunity to purchase locally often hard to find items. The long-range plan is to convert the barns into innovative creations while maintaining the original structure and keeping the history of the Pomfret farming community alive.
As in days of old, there is a definite bovine theme running throughout The Milkin’ Parlour. Sundry items like milk lotion, gels, shampoos and conditioners are placed among porcelain and brass cows of all shapes and colors. Alongside the dairy cows seen grazing in the nearby fields is a petting zoo for children. For those with an interest in local history, it is rumored that the homestead is haunted.
According to local legend the house situated on property where the The Milkin’ Parlour is located is considered to be haunted. Situated at Breezy Hill Farm on Putnam Road in Pomfret Center, the property was originally owned by Ithamar May. The farm was purchased by the Chubbuck family in 1964 and operated as a dairy farm until 1980’s and since that time has been utilized as a bed-n- breakfast for cows.
In the 1940’s book “Folklore and Firesides” by Susan Griggs, she writes, “The May place became the home of Ithamar May in 1787, when he took possession of a fine farm east of Prospect Hill.” He married first a Miss Sabin, descendant of John Sabin, and it is probable that the “fine farm” mentioned in Larned's History, came from the Sabin land. Ill fate hovered over the marriage of the Ithamar Mays, as in less than a year the bride took her own life, and from that time the house was considered haunted. This “haunted house” burned and the present house was built. It was of the May house that Louise Chandler Moulton wrote her story of “The Haunted House”.